R-1- Religion Worker Status

This applies to aliens who seek to enter the US to work in a professional capacity in a religious vocation or occupation for a period of 5 years or less. Such applicants must work for a tax exempt organization described in section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. To qualify, applicants must have been members of the religious denomination for at least 2 years immediately preceding the application.

Spouses and unmarried children under 21 may qualify to enter the US in the R-2 status for the duration of the R-1 visa holder's stay. They may not accept employment while in the US but may attend school.